DEPARTMENT OF ECONOMICS
“The ideas of economists and political philosophers both when they are right and when they are wrong are more powerful than is commonly understood. Indeed, the world is rules by little else- John Maynard Keynes”
The Department of economics, Chinmaya college of Arts, Commerce &Science since its inception, has a long-standing commitment towards transforming our students into active learners, thinkers and scholars in economics, by keeping pace with the rapid changes that are taking place in economic and political spheres across the globe.
The discipline occupies a strategic place among the social sciences as many careers which requires an understanding and analysis of contemporary issues can be enhanced by the study of economics.
B.A. Economics Model II (Foreign Trade)
To impart knowledge of fundamental concepts and theoretical findings in economics and methodology by which economic ideas are framed tested and modified, there by developing the capacity to analyze economic issues and provide an opportunity to take up career in economic and related areas.
30 students /batch
Pass in 12th or equivalent.
- BA Economics First Year builds foundation in Economics with Perspective and Methodology in Economics and Micro Economics as core complimented by Computer fundamentals.
- BA Economics Foreign Trade Second Year deals with core subjects like Development Economics, Public Finance, Macro Economics, Complemented by internet and MS office, and Visual Basis, introduces Vocational /specialized paper like international trade, International Business and International Banking.
- BA Economics Foreign Trade, Third Year offers core papers such as Indian Economy, Environmental Economics, Econometrics, Quantitative Techniques and Vocational paper like international marketing, Foreign Trade Financing, Documentation and Procedures and Shipping and Insurance Practices and Procedures.
One month internship With the intention to provide best blend of management and economics and there by equip them with good analytical and problem-solving skills.
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
The department of Economics offers Undergraduate programme i.e., Bachelors of Arts in Economics with specialization in Foreign Trade. The department instructs the students on the Fundamental Economics theories and Foreign Trade policies that orients them on there application to real world phenomenon. After completing this course, a student will be better equipped with the knowledge and skills required to pursue Higher education and career in economics and related fields.
To import comprehensive education for holistic development of an individual and synthesizing the educational process with skill development, to strive the students towards perfection and competence.
To provide excellent teaching learning environment with its focus on continuing education, Professional ethics and contribution to the society.
KEY FOCUS AREA
- Student centric Methods.
- Special programmes for Advanced Learner & Slow learners.
- Soft Skill Development.
- Anna Joshy, HOD (MA Economics & MPhil Economics)
- Sreepriya, C. S (MA Economics, B.Ed., UGC NET)
BA Economics students have brought laurels to the institution by securing ranks in Mahatma Gandhi University Degree Examination.
- BA Economics Foreign Trade 2015-18
- BA Economics Foreign Trade 2016-19
- BA Economics Foreign Trade 2017-2020
EXTENSION ACTIVIES BEYOND OF CURRICULAM
- Guest Lectures – Seminars and Workshop
- Inter Collegiate Economic Fest.
REPORT ON DEPARTMENT ACTIVITIES
ACADEMIC YEAR 2020-21.
Adaptation to the times’ is the key mantra of the department, keeping this motto during the pandemic affected academic year 2020-21, online classes were conducted for the students in full swing through M.S Teams with audio visual aids.
- November 2020 Add -on- Courses on Certification in artificial Intelligence was conducted for B.A. Economic students.
- ‘Draft EIA Legal and policy Reflection’- a webinar organized for the students of our department and we were privileged to have Dr. Stellina Jolly, Assistant professor South Asian University Delhi as the Chief Speaker.
- Arun Thomas Vice President Federal Bank addressed our students on “An overview of Financial Markets and Functions of bank Treasury”.
- “Plant a tree” – a campaign in association with Environment Day Celebration.
- Orientation programme for first year in November 2020.
- Online Onam and Christmas celebration – An initiative by the students of our department.
ACADEMIC YEAR 2019-20.
- June 2019- orientation programme for first Years.
- June 5th 2019 - Poster design competition as a part of World Environment Day.
- June – Anti Narcotic Day Awareness programme - An interactive session with Mr. Vivek .V. Nair Superintendent Customs Preventive.
- Inter Department Football match as an awareness creation programme against drugs with the motto ‘SAY NO TO DRUGS, STAY HIGH ON SPORTS”.
ACADEMIC YEAR 2018-2019.
- Orientation for the first-year students.
- ‘PEN DRIVE’- an initiative in association with environment day celebration as a way of creating awareness among the students about plastic use.
- Food Fest – ‘Feed Me More’ – January 2019.
- Intercollege Economic Fest – Arthanomics – February 1 2019, inaugurated by Mr. Aneesh P. Rajan (IRS) Joint Commissioner Customs Preventive.